Mr. GSU preview

• File Photo

Erinn Williams

Georgia Southern University students will compete to be the ninth annual Mr. Georgia Southern University and next year’s leading man in a competition this week.

The Mr. Georgia Southern University Pageant (Mr.GSU) is a competition for male students at Georgia Southern hosted by the University Programming Board.

The pageant will be held this Thursday in the Russell Union Ballroom at 7 p.m.

There is a long list of contestants this year including Malik Fraser, KeShawn Harris, Zachary Rivera, James Woodall, Timothy Ray, Cesar Perez, Nick Harris, Dale Arnold, Michael Ofili, Kyle Stroud, Carrington Kelso, James Rotureau and Kyle Smith.

“I decided to participate in Mr.GSU because of one reason: I realized that there was a social transition happening here at GSU, and it was up to the next generation of leaders here to step up and be proactive and this here was a prime opportunity to do just that.” James Woodall, junior political science major and Mr. GSU contestant, said.

The 13 gentlemen compete in five categories where they are given the opportunity to break out from their competition and win the coveted crown and cash prize.

These include on-stage question, formal wear, spirit wear, talent and swimsuit.

The winner is selected by a panel of judges chosen by the University Programming Board.

Last year’s winner and current Mr. GSU James Johnson won not only the crown but also the People’s Choice award which is voted on by the GSU community,

“It has been an indescribable experience. The crown has helped me to connect with the GSU students in a way I never thought possible” James Johnson, Mr. GSU 2013-2014, said.

They also have the opportunity to win Mr. Photogenic, which students can vote for online on the UPB Facebook page by liking the picture of the contestant they feel the camera loves.

During his reign, Mr. GSU participates across campus in the GSU community, participating in spirit events and showcasing his title and his GQ-style .

“Mr. GSU represents not only just a crown and a title, but rather a formally recognized member of our community that embodies all characteristics of what it means to be a Georgia Southern Eagle. He sets the example for those that come after him, and he also inspires and motivates those around him,” Woodall said.

Admission is free with an Eagle ID.