Eagles keep grades first

Hayden Boudreaux

As the old saying goes, student-athletes are “students first, then athletes.”

Some shirk their academic responsibilities; others rise up and mimic their performance on the playing field in the classroom.

It is important to note that the following sports were all in-season at the time of these GPAs. On top of the countless hours dedicated to film, practice and games these teams managed to obtain peek performance from their bodies as well as their minds.

Women’s Soccer: 3.40 Average

Led by head coach Brian Dunleavy the Georgia Southern University women’s soccer team is sure to keep academics on their mind. The team boasted seven dean’s list players and 27 players with a GPA over 3.0. The Eagles were awarded the NSCAA 2013 Team Academic Award. Dunleavy expressed his pride in the academic ability of his team.

“We are very proud of our student-athletes for their commitment and dedication to their academics. They have worked very hard to reach such a high standard, and in doing so, they have showcased our well-rounded program in an exemplary manner,” Dunleavy said.

Volleyball: 3.37 Average

After a final Southern Conference championship and an all-around impressive season, the GSU volleyball team proved that they could handle themselves well off the court. With team leaders such as senior hitter Jamie DeRatt being named to the SoCon Academic Honor Roll, they have set an expectation of both athletic and academic domination.

Swimming and diving: 3.35 Average

Senior swimmer Megan Ostrom has been a testament to the dedication of the swimming and diving team in the classroom. Her 3.90 cumulative GPA earned her the Georgia Southern University Female Scholar Athlete of the Year.

“Megan is one of the most dedicated student-athletes we have ever had in our program. Her intense focus and determination is unparalleled. Quite simply, Megan has a distinct passion for excellence in the pool, in the classroom, and around campus and the community,” Nathan Kellog, head swimming coach, said.

Women’s basketball: 3.25

Head Coach Chris Vozab just wrapped up her second season managing things on the court. Already her team’s record has improved over her two years and she was able to also manage her athlete’s performance off the court.

Junior guard Anna Claire Knight lit up the scoreboard this season after being named to the Preseason All-SoCon team. Knight’s 3.8 GPA in the field of Sports Management earned her a spot on the SoCon Academic All-Conference team. Knight will continue to lead her team to great things in her senior season, academic and athletic.