Reduce, reuse, recycle: No Impact Week cleans up GSU

Braley Garland

Georgia Southern University has dedicated next week to going green. GSU will participate in the annual No Impact Week, April 13-20, to help students leave a smaller footprint.

Collin Beavan, the No Impact Man, started the No Impact Project in 2006 when he and his family decided to go an entire year living in New York City with zero waste. The year was documented through Beavan’s book, film and blog. From there, the project grew to encompass campuses and corporations around the world participating one week a year to help lower waste and educate people on ways to better help the environment.

GSU has had four successful years of No Impact Week and this year there are interesting and educational activities planned to get the campus aware of sustainability. Sustainability is being able to produce what we need today and still be able to produce for future generations.

The Center for Sustainability and the Green Ambassadors are a big part of No Impact Week and GSU’s sustainability on campus. “We have the longest running No Impact Week of any university,” director of the Center for Sustainability Lissa Leege, PhD., said. “The whole week is put on by students for students to encourage easy and fun sustainable practices.”

Events are happening every day from Sunday through Saturday. The week starts off with a Sustainable Solutions exhibit at the GSU Museum.

Other events include lessons on how to re-purpose wine bottles and corks at the Rotunda and a Campus Farmers Market. There is also the chance to view a lunar eclipse at the planetarium in the wee hours of Tuesday morning.

No Impact Week also encourages the community to ride their bikes by offering free bike tune ups at the Rotunda. Or if biking isn’t the thing, the University is offering a walking tour of campus to explain all of the Sustainable Solutions GSU has to offer.

A highlight of the week is keynote speaker Dr. Steve Chu, a former U.S. Secretary of Energy and Nobel Prize winner, on Tuesday night. Another highlight of the week is celebrating Earth Day on Thursday with many activities during the day from DIY crafts to sustainable exhibits. Earth Day then ends with a potluck dinner and open mike night.

No Impact Week is a week to teach all about the importance of sustainability. No Impact Week also shows that creating less waste doesn’t have to be difficult and it can even be fun!

Sunday, April 13, 2014 Day 1 Consumption:

Sustainable Solutions Exhibit, Museum 2-5: This exhibit gives examples of how to help make a greener world.

Monday, April 14, 2014 Day 2 Trash:

Trash to Treasure and Workshop, Exhibit at Rotunda 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Workshop in the Russell Union 6 p.m.: Learn to re-purpose wine and beer bottles!

Activities at the Rotunda: Exhibits from Sustainable Forestry and Interior Design, recycling table, 2 L bottle greenhouse tours and registration for No Impact to get a free t-shirt.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 Day 3 Food:

Lunar Eclipse Viewing, Planetarium 1:30-5:30 a.m.: Come to the Planetarium to see a lunar eclipse, Saturn and its rings and Mars!

Campus Farmer’s Market, William’s Center Plaza 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Home-made and home-grown food along with cooking demonstrations and samples!

Keynote Speaker, Performing Arts Center, 7 p.m.: Dr. Steven Chu, Nobel Prize winner and former Secretary of Energy, will speak on “Renewing our Independence through Renewable Energy: Challenges and Opportunities.”

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 Day 4 Transportation:

Ride Your Bike to Campus Day

Activities at the Rotunda, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: 1) Student Employment Appreciation Day

2) Like Your Bike: free bike tune-ups from CRI’s Southern Adventures

3) Campus Sustainability Walking Tour, Departing from the Union Rotunda at 11:30 a.m., 12 and 12:30 p.m.

Renewable Energy and the “Green Economy” in Mexico, Russell Union Rm. 2080, 4-5:30 p.m.

Community Bike Ride, Southern Adventures Parking Lot, 4:30 p.m.: Come out for a group ride on the Greenway. All riders are given a raffle ticket for a fun prize.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 Day 5 Energy:

Earth Day Celebrations, Rotunda: All day exhibits, classes and DIY craft lessons. Music provided by Pladd Dot School of Rock

Sustainability Tours, leave from Museum at 1 p.m.: Come tour the green buildings on campus!

Sustainable Feast and Open Mike Night, Garden of the Coastal Plain, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Come out for a potluck style dinner and open mike night.

Friday, April 18, 2014 Day 6 Water:

Campus Watershed Cleanup, Rotunda 11 a.m.: Help the campus clean up litter.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 Day 7 Giving Back:

Wildlife Center Program, Wildlife Center 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.: Interior Design Exhibit: Human Rights and Fair Trade Practices in Textile Industry.