Reflector Reviews: “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM”, Beyoncé

Reflector Reviews: TEXAS HOLD EM, Beyoncé

Coming in hot at 3 minutes and 55 seconds, Beyoncé shocked the world with her new hit single “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM”, an upbeat track with just the right amount of country feels to it. But is it considered a country song? I’m not a big fan of country music, and while some argue that this song isn’t true country, I do enjoy this song. I was never deep into Beyoncé’s music, but this song is extremely catchy.

Along with producing a hit, Beyoncé has made history with the song. With this song, she became the first black woman to top the Billboard Country Chart. The chart-topping hit racked up 29 million streams between Feb. 16-22. “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” counts as the singer’s ninth leader on the list, with her last one being in 2022, with her song “Break My Soul.”

Beyoncé’s music has such an eclectic feel to it, that I wanted to ask some students, some fans of Beyoncé, and some not as much, to see what they thought:

“I think the song was good, and it had a good beat, and I would consider it a country song. I was pretty surprised that she put out a country song but I knew it would be good once I heard about it.”
– Jordan Able, Freshman

“I enjoyed the song that Beyoncé put out because it’s catchy and a new sound for her. She released a song a couple of years ago on her “Lemonade” album, called “Daddy’s Lessons”, which had a little country backtrack to it, so I wasn’t surprised that she put out a country song, but I didn’t expect her to come out with “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM”.”
– Zoe Winston, Freshman

“I thought the song was really catchy! I definitely wasn’t expecting it to sound the way it does, but I really like it. I hadn’t heard of it until now, but my sister texted me yesterday and we were both shocked that she put out a country song.”
– Chloe Fuller, Freshman