Wings of Remembrance: Eagles Call

Nayia Worrell

Last Wednesday on the Georgia Southern University campus, the air hung heavy with solemnity and unity. Eagles Call, an annual event of poignant significance, unfolded—a time to honor and remember those who had departed during the school year.

With a heart weighed down by sorrow, the university president, President Marrero stepped forward, his voice trembling with emotion as he began to recite the names of the sixteen souls, both faculty and students, being honored that evening. Each name represented a cherished member of the university community, their absence keenly felt by all.

“Kelly Berry, Director of Theater, Center for Art & Theater,” he began, his words laden with the weight of loss. Among those honored were Paul Bradley Jr., Dr. Celine Manoosingh, Holly Duke, Charles Duggan, Shatasha Monaye Fields, Dr. Nicholas L. Henry, Master Sergeant Christopher Decker, Janet O’Brien, and Dr. Beverly M. Sermons—each name a testament to a life well-lived and deeply missed.

The roll call extended to include students as well, each one mourned by their peers. Joel Frederick Spivak, Michael Tiller, Ethan Barnaby, Khia Shields, Elmer Alexander Rios, and Robert Zander Hattersley—each name representing a future cut short.

Freedom, the university mascot, made rounds to offer comfort and take photos with families. As the ceremony neared its end, Dr. Steven Elisha took to the stage with his cello, his music providing a moment of solace and reflection for all present.

Outside the Williams Center is a bench and statue, a solemn symbol of remembrance for all the fallen eagles, serving as a place of solace and reflection for anyone seeking to honor their memories.