New engineering building will not come with change in bus routes

Anthony Belinfante

STATESBORO — Georgia Southern University students planning to take classes in the new Center for Engineering and Research Building (CEaR) can expect to walk to class in the coming months.

The CEaR, which has been in development since Jan. 2019, will have parking available for students and faculty. But students who do not purchase a parking pass will have to find a route to travel on foot in order to get to class.

“At this time, there are no plans to alter the bus routes to accommodate the new Engineering (CEaR) Building,” Derrick Davis, director of parking and transportation, said.

Students relying on the Gold and Sweetheart Shuttle bus routes will soon be in search of the quickest way to get to the building located on the corner of Akins Blvd. and Forest Drive.

The Sweetheart Shuttle Route, also known as the Stadium Shuttle, makes a stop at the nursing and chemistry and education buildings. If students were to take that route, they could cross the street and arrive at the new building.

The Gold Route buses stop at the RAC and two stops on Forest Drive. Taking that route would result in a more time-consuming walk to class than the Sweetheart Shuttle.

Students still have a few months to decide on a possible route, or whether they will purchase a parking pass.

“Construction is expected to be complete by October 21, 2020,” Matthew Shingler, director of facilities planning, design and construction, said. “With Furniture and equipment move-in following the construction.”

You can learn more about the bus routes here.

Anthony Belinfante, The George-Anne News Reporter, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu