How to Get the Most Out of Your Game Day at GS

Jenna Wiley

Photos by Blake Kessler

Football in Statesboro, GA is a major part of the culture. Saturdays are dedicated to football in Paulson Stadium and nothing else, and with football season in full swing, it’s a good idea to know to have a successful game day. 

Tailgating

The amount of preparation can differ depending on what kind of game day you want to have. If you are big on tailgating, spots in Paulson Stadiums’ parking lot are available for purchase. Other spots around campus, such as the Performing Arts Center (PAC) and the Recreational Activity Center (RAC) are also popular tailgating spots. People who tailgate often arrive as early as the day before a game and early Saturday morning to get everything set up. If you aren’t planning on tailgating, it’s as easy as showing up for pregame and finding your seats. 

Where to sit

Seating in Paulson Stadium can be tricky. If you are a student, the student section can be an amazing experience to go through. Located on the visitor side, the student section holds its own traditions that can be really fun once you learn them. The home side is a great spot to sit if you want to be closer to the football team, and it is also the side the Southern Pride Marching Band performs their pregame and most of their halftime performances. 

What to wear

It’s no secret that it’s customary to wear either blue, gold or white on GS game days. Some great places to get all your GS gear are the University Bookstore, Southern Exchange Co. and Cheeky Bliss. It’s probably a good idea to wear something you don’t mind getting things spilled on because some people can get a little rowdy in the stands. Also, plan on wearing comfortable shoes as you will be doing a lot of standing and cheering on the Eagles to victory. 

Afterparty 

The partying doesn’t stop after the game ends. For some, it’s just getting started. Especially after an Eagle win, the night comes alive. Popular places to celebrate are the Gnat’s Landing, Del Sur, Blue Room and Shenanigans. If the bar scene is more your style, these places often have the football game playing on the T.V. if you don’t plan on making to Paulson. 

Having a good college game day can make or break the days memories, so use these helpful hints to make the memories good ones. 

Photos by Blake Kessler