University events to be held for finals week

Lauren Gorla

With finals only a few short days away, organizations on campus are holding events to help students during finals and to provide a period of stress relief.

Finals Feast, a popular finals event that was held in the fall, will be held again this semester and is the first time the University Programming Board has done so during a spring semester.

“Finals Feast in the fall has been so successful and this year we had it in our budget to do it for spring as well, so we knew that with the success we had in the fall, it would be a success in the spring as well,” Brittany Bullock, president of the University Programming Board, said.

This is the only activity that UPB is holding that is specifically related to finals, Bullock said.

The University Honors Program will have breakfast food for its students next Monday through Thursday mornings, Linda Rushing, administrative assistant for the University Honors Program, said.

The Recreational Activity Center has changed its group fitness activity schedule for finals week and will not feature all of the usual group fitness classes, according to the Campus Recreation and Intramurals website.

The classes offered will include yoga, Pilates, spin 45, cardio sculpt, Zumba, spin and yoga, awesome abs, southern sculpt, PiYo, kickboxing, spin 2 win, spin core, hip-hop jam and advanced yoga, according to the website.

Other colleges and universities across Georgia are hosing events for students to participate in during finals week.

Georgia College & State University hosts various events including a midnight breakfast and massage therapy sessions.

“We have a tradition called midnight breakfast the night before finals start.  Our faculty and staff get together and serve breakfast to the students,” Brittiny Barber, manager of media relations for GCSU, said.

The GCSU student activity center goes into study mode where the conference rooms and ballroom are open for students for study sessions, Barber said.

The Den at GCSU is an area within the student activity center with games, TVs and a lounge area with free drinks.

“In the past, we’ve done massages for our students.  We have massage chairs in the lounge area, and in the past massage therapist students have come in and performed massages as a way for students to relax,” Barber said.

University of Georgia’s Terry College of Business offers goodie bags to its students as they prepare for finals during the last Thursday and Friday of classes.

“We have about thirty-five Terry student ambassadors and they put together about one thousand goodie bags that has stuff in them like sweet and salty treats and they also put a note on the bag wishing good luck to students on finals,” Lisa Bedgood, student affairs professional for undergraduate student services and corporate relations, said.

UGA’s University Union Student Programming Board offers an event known as ‘Wings and Things’ where chicken wings are given to people along with a few massage therapists offering massages for a few hours, according to the University Union website.

The University Union gives away blue books and provides a photo booth and other interactive activities for people to relax at, according to the website.

Georgia State University hosts themed events for finals week, with this year’s theme being ‘Salsa in the City.’

Joadane Clerzeau, special events director for the Spotlight Programs Board at Ga. State, said, “We had things like a make your own burrito and nachos bar, and we also had salsa dancers come in and do salsa lessons for students.  Aqua-massage came in and did waterbed massages and there were also keepsakes for students.”