SGA senate applications due Friday

Lauren Gorla

Students that possess leadership qualities, want to be more involved in Georgia Southern University or are looking for a way to make a change should consider joining the Student Government Association

The application is due this Friday, March 15 by 5 p.m. to the SGA office on the second floor of the Russell Union.

“We are looking for students who are used to being involved and are used to taking initiative because you need that initiative to be a productive senator,” Dominique Quarles, executive president of SGA, said.

SGA applicants also need to be interested in the university and concerned about what goes on on-campus, Chad Harmon, vice president of academic affairs, said.

If elected, SGA senators are expected to complete designated office hours, work one weekend of Shuttle Gus, visit at least one event of an organization that was funded by SGA and visit two organizations and tell them about SGA, Harmon said.

The requirements to apply to be a senator include having a 2.5 GPA and a full-time student status, Quarles said.

“Many students think that SGA is too selective but we really don’t have that many requirements,” Quarles said.

Interested students must also attend a mandatory information session on Thursday, March 14 at 5 p.m., Quarles said.

The information session will include the rules and regulations of campaigning on campus and important dates for those running, Quarles said.

Students applying should understand that a position on SGA requires dedication, but the level of it depends on the individual.

“The senator position is what you make of it.  There are those that fill their schedule and others who only do one or two things during the semester.  It’s all about their personality,” Quarles said.

Harmon said, “If you are elected, be the senator that goes above and beyond because you really are in a position to make a large potential impact.”