Car thefts plague campus

Emma Collins

Georgia Southern University Public Safety received 15 reports of entering auto this weekend, with reports starting late Friday night and continuing into early Saturday morning.

The thefts occurred across campus and off campus, Terry Briley, captain of Criminal Investigations for GSU Police, said.

“There were six at Southern Pines, three in C Lot, three in Eagle Village J Lot, three in the K Lot in University Villas, two in the Forum, one at GATAs and one at Campus Crossings,” Briley said.

Two suspects, one white male and one black male, were spotted checking vehicles for unlocked doors, according to the statement.

The two spotted checking for unlocked doors are suspects in a vehicle theft from Eagle Village Lot J, and they were later involved in a serious, single-car accident on Gentilly Road, according to the Statesboro Police Department.

“There were several entering car thefts. They were going around checking cars. There was no forced entry,” GSU Police Chief Mike Russell said.

A variety of items were stolen from the unlocked vehicles, including power cords, loose money and three GPSs, Russell said.

No one has been apprehended in connection with the incidents, Briley said.

Anyone who has information regarding these thefts or notices a suspicious person is asked to contact the GSU Police Department immediately.