Taking a look at the Georgia Southern fire codes

• Amber J. Culpepper, J.D., Interim Director, Equal Opportunity and Title IX Coordinator said that grills that were used to burn the books did not have to be reserved for use.

Nathan Woodruff

Georgia Southern University’s fire safety code outlines many ways that GS students can avoid hurting themselves or others in the residence halls. 

The University addressed the issues surrounding the book-burning incident, in terms of free speech and expression, and the student code of conduct and fire safety. 

Amber J. Culpepper, J.D., Interim Director, Equal Opportunity and Title IX Coordinator said that grills that were used to burn the books did not have to be reserved for use.

“So, the particular drills that we’re talking about here…outside of the residence halls, those do not require that. You don’t have to have permission to go out and use that grill.”

Culpepper also said that free speech and free expression were the ways that the code of conduct were interpreted.

The GS fire safety code lists 10 violations. Some include: fire doors being propped open, blocking paths of egress, obstructing fire alarm pull stations and tampering with fire extinguishers.

In addition, high power draw appliances such as refrigerators, microwaves and space heaters must be plugged directly into a wall receptacle. Space heaters also must comply with the university policy, and fire doors are required to be self-closing and positive latching. 

In terms of power outlets students should be careful around extension cords as permanent wiring.

Surge protectors/power strips not properly mounted should be fixed.

“These devices must be mounted a minimum of 8’ up off the floor and must be mounted in a way to prevent physical damage and liquid damage,” GS general fire safety tips reads.

Open electrical junction boxes should be properly protected and GFIC receptacles not provided by GS should be kept within six inches of a tub, sink or other water source. 

Certain household appliances like micro fridges, microwaves and refrigerators.

There are also five forbidden things items: Alcohol, drugs, extension cords, pets and weapons. 

When it comes to cooking, chapter six section 11 letter F says, “engaging in unsafe cooking practices that create or increase the risk of fire,” is a punishable offense. Section 25 also prohibits, “unauthorized use of University equipment.” 

The complete GS student code of conduct can be found here.