Eagles keep momentum going as they crush Little Rock and advance to Saturday’s semifinal

Michael Smith

Georgia Southern baseball defeated Little Rock, 10-3, in a spectacular offensive showing Thursday afternoon.

The Eagles took advantage of a hot couple middle innings and five errors from the Trojan defense to advance to the conference semifinals.

Junior Joe Nahas pitched four scoreless innings before allowing a 2 run homer and setting up senior Cole Whitney to earn the save over his nearly 4 inning relief effort.

Leadoff hitter Steven Curry singled off an error to kick off the contest and scored an unearned run two at bats later. Scoring for both teams halted until sophomore infielder Jason Swan scored off an RBI single from sophomore Christian Avant in the top of the fourth.

Swan batted in two runs in the top of the fifth to create a 4-0 with a single to right field. Swan would steal second on the next at bat and, a few pitches later, freshman infielder Noah Ledford scored on an errant pitch that pushed Swan at third.

Junior infielder Mason Miller’s RBI brought the score to 6-0 going into the bottom of the fifth.

Nahas gave up a two run homer in the bottom of the fifth, his last full frame, but GS responded with another Swan single to score junior Mason McWhorter and keep the Eagles thoroughly in control with a five run lead.

GS loaded the bases in the top of the seventh, allowing freshman Blake Evans to score when Tyler Martin was hit by a pitch. The Trojan pitching staff limited the damage from there, however, keeping the score at 8-2.

Little Rock walked sophomore infielder Austin Thompson to begin the eighth, and he was batted in by Evans three batters later.

The Trojans matched the run with a sacrifice RBI in the same inning, setting the score at 9-3 entering the final frame.

Avant closed out the scoring with a single in the top of the ninth that scored sophomore outfielder Noah Searcy in his pinch hitting effort.

A quick ninth inning gave the Eagles the victory with a final of 10-3.

GS baseball will play Saturday in the semifinals against an opponent to be announced.

Michael Smith, The George-Anne Staff, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu