Two Georgia Southern biology professors receive TriBeta awards

• Georgia Southern biology professors Ray Chandler, Ph.D. (left), and Christine Bedore Ph.D., received Tribeta awards for their collaboration with students during research lab and participating in events sponsored by TriBeta.

Bisola Oke

Two Georgia Southern University biology professors received TriBeta awards for their collaboration with students during research lab and participating in events sponsored by TriBeta.

Ray Chandler, Ph.D., said he was surprised and proud to receive this award because it comes directly from a student group.

“I was genuinely surprised because I did not know I would get this award. It means a lot to a faculty member to receive recognition directly from students,” Chandler said.

Christine Bedore, Ph.D., said she is honored to receive this award as she has been fortunate to work with some exceptional group of students.

Chandler and Bedore received these awards at the annual Department of Biology cookout in April held by TriBeta Biology Honors Society.

Bedore advises her colleagues wishing to earn this same award to let students take ownership of their research project while being with them every step of the way.

“Allowing students the opportunity to take ownership of their research project and be involved in each step of the process is an important element of successful mentoring,” Bedore said.

Chandler advises his fellow teachers and mentors to keep up the good work as everyone is working hard.

Chandler said, “I think all my colleagues in biology work hard to be effective teachers and mentors. I think the only advice they need is to keep up the good work.”

Bisola Oke, The George-Anne Daily Reporter, gadaily@georgiasouthern.edu