Georgia Southern’s online Master of Education program ranked No. 8 nationwide

Joiya Reid

Georgia Southern’s online Master of Education in Evaluation, Assessment, Research and Learning ranked No. 8 as one of the best online Master’s in Assessment and Measurement programs. 

The M.Ed. online program, otherwise known as M.Ed. EARL, is relatively new at Georgia Southern, M.Ed. Program Director Cordelia Zinskie said.

This is the first time the program has received national recognition. OnlineMasters.com recognized the program as the “Most Modern” in their list of “Best Online Masters in Assessment and Measurement Programs.”

Zinskie, who has a doctorate in education, said she was thrilled and excited OnlineMasters.com recognized the program as one of the best.

“Program faculty worked for several years to develop this program and complete the process for program approval, so it is an honor to be recognized for our efforts,” Zinskie said.

The M.Ed. EARL program started admitting students in Fall of 2017, and the first program graduate will participate in the upcoming graduation in May. The program, which now admits students every semester, is open to full-time and part-time students, Zinskie said.

Zinskie said potential applicants include recent education and/or behavior science graduates and working professionals needing more training to meet career goals. Students learn a wide-range of skills that will help them in a variety of professional settings.

“Graduates from this program will be prepared for doctoral study as well as qualified for employment in social science research environments such as public schools and school districts, higher education institutions, private research and assessment firms, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies,” Zinskie said.

A total of 36 credit hours worth of coursework is required for M.Ed. EARL. In those 36 credit hours, students learn tools and abilities in collecting and analyzing data, and creation of data tools among other skills, according to a press release about the program.

“Our combined emphasis on evaluation, assessment, research and learning offers a broader, more contemporary approach to preparing individuals for the growing number of professional research positions,” Zinskie said.

Zinskie said she looks forward to growing program enrollment in the future and is excited to meet new students interested in the skills and tools M.Ed. EARL offers.

Joiya Reid, The George-Anne Candidate, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu