What could flu season look like among COVID-19?

Health Services: If you have flu symptoms this year, let the CARES team know

Fernanda Camacho Hauser, Correspondent

With flu season upon us, The George-Anne spoke to health services’ medical director about how to stay safe during the flu season during a pandemic.

The ongoing pandemic has created a strain on the health system, and according to an email from Brian DeLoach, M.D., medical director of health services, “Flu season will place additional strain on the nation’s healthcare resources, which are already potentially scarce due to COVID.”

The focus of healthcare providers is to maintain adequate supplies of PPE (personal protective equipment) to be able to administer the flu vaccine while adhering to social distancing guidelines, according to DeLoach.

For those of us on-campus, this means that the flu shot will be available on a walk in basis in the Statesboro and Armstrong campuses health centers Monday through Friday.

Vaccines will also be available in local pharmacies like they do every flu season.

DeLoach clarified that getting the flu vaccine will not protect you from COVID-19, but instead works to reduce your chances of getting the flu.

“Getting a flu vaccine this fall will be more important than ever, not only to reduce your risk from flu but also to help conserve potentially scarce health care resources,” said DeLoach.

The campuses will continue to carry out their plans for COVID-19 when it comes to making appointments and seeing the appointments through.

“Students who have flu symptoms can use their online health portals to schedule appointments,” said DeLoach. “Because flu and COVID symptoms overlap, students should report any symptoms into the CARES team and should reach out to their health care provider for advice.”

When it comes to other precautions that should be taken this flu season of a Pandemic year are as following according to DeLoach:

• Washing your hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
  • Coughing or sneezing into your elbow
  • Socially distance and stay 6 feet apart from others
  • Frequently clean your household, work space, and other commonly used areas
  • Wear your facial coverings
  • Stay home when sick and avoid contact with other persons who are sick