Statesboro Mayor McCollar to hold town hall meeting on Georgia Southern Campus

McClain Baxley

Statesboro Mayor Jonathan McCollar will be holding a meeting to address students on the Georgia Southern University Statesboro campus Feb. 26 in the Russell Union Ballroom at 7 p.m.

The goal for the meeting is for GS students to voice their concerns and ask their questions regarding the future of Statesboro, according to a press release.

This will be McCollar’s second time speaking to the students since taking mayoral office in November 2017.

The town hall meeting is sponsored by Student Government Association senators Alex Conarton and Keyshawn Housey.

“I work for him, I interned for him all summer,” Conarton said. “He wanted to come out and talk to all of the students. That’s my project—connecting the students with the city and city officials.”

McCollar is the only city official scheduled to attend the meeting Tuesday, but Conarton said it would be similar to the “State of the University” forum at the beginning of the year. The meeting is open to anyone, though it is targeted towards students.

“We would like to keep doing it,” Conarton said. “This is the first one, but if it goes well, then we will have another one.”

McClain Baxley, The George-Anne Daily Managing Editor, gasnewsed@georgiasouthern.edu