Center for Sustainability planting trees near Baja Boro

• The Center for Sustainability will be planting trees with Georgia Southern University students at Jones Lane Park next to Baja Boro. 

Davon Johnson

The Center for Sustainability will be planting trees with Georgia Southern University students at Jones Lane Park next to Baja Boro on Friday morning in celebration of Arbor day.

The event begins at 11 a.m. and parking will be available at Baja Boro.

GS students will be given the opportunity to help the Statesboro community stay green and the sustainability organization is excited to give everyone a hand.

“Anytime we can do an event like this just beautifies our campus,” Director for Sustainability Lissa Leege said. “When we plant trees we plant for the future.”

The community can expect to be planting a total of 75 trees at the event with two of them being symbolic to GS other campuses. There will be a liberty lolly grown to represent Liberty campus and a Armstrong lolly to represent Armstrong campus.

The director of the botanic garden at GS, Carolyn Altman, will be making an appearance at the event to talk about the value of trees in our community and across the world.

This event will be one of many different ways students can get involved in helping create a more sustainable society.

“Recycle mania is something else students can do to see which university can recycle the most, and it saves money instead of throwing it away,” Leege said. “We have to make the choice to go to the farmer’s market or grow our own food to live a zero waste life.”

Davon Johnson, The George-Anne Candidate, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu