1098-T forms and what to do with them

Fernanda Camacho Hauser, Correspondent

Late last month we Georgia Southern students received an email from the Bursar’s Office telling us that our 2020 1098-T forms were now available.

But what is that and what do we do with it?

We talked to professor Gloria Stuart, senior lecturer in the School of Accountancy, about what this form is, what we can do with it, and what resources can help you with these sorts of things on campus.

For starters the 1098-T form is a tax form which provides information about qualifying educational expenses about tuition or other fees (technology fees, activity fees, ect.). Since most students are filed as dependents by their parents we don’t have to worry about the educational credits that can be applied for using this form. 

You can only apply for educational credits, whether it be the American Opportunity Credit (undergraduate only) or the Lifetime Learning Credit (available for grad and undergraduate), if you are filing independently. 

For those of us who might be applying independently or would like help with tax preparation there is no need to go off campus or add the stress of venturing into the realm of taxes for the first time on our own. 

The Parker College of Business offers Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). This program is a volunteer program that allows IRS certified accounting students to get practical experience working with tax forms for course credits.

The VITA program offers free federal and Georgia tax preparations for the community. The program has adapted to the ongoing pandemic by setting up a drop off schedule to be able to maintain all parties involved free while maintaining the service for the community and hands on learning for the students.