Lady Eagles looking for elusive postseason win

Anita Howard looking to guide her team to a tournament run

DJ Cadden, Correspondent

After finishing just 10-20 (7-11 SBC) in 2019-20, Anita Howard’s Lady Eagles finished the 2020-21 campaign with a record of 11-12 (5-9 SBC).

However, a win in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament has eluded the Lady Eagles since joining the Sun Belt prior to the 2014 season.

Georgia Southern’s leading scorer, A’Tyanna Gaulden, was dismissed from the team on Monday for an undisclosed reason, according to team spokesman Chad Jackson.

The Lady Bobcats enter the Sun Belt Tournament at 10-10 (7-8 SBC), but finished the regular season with three wins in their last four games.

Junior forward Da’Nasia Hood, who averages 16.0 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, headlines a veteran core group for the Lady Bobcats. Redshirt sophomore guard Lauryn Thompson and junior guard Kennedy Taylor also average more than 10 points per game.

GS holds the clear advantage on offense, averaging more than 15 points more per game than Texas State. However, with the absence of Gaulden, freshmen such as Daeja Holmes and Terren Ward will be thrust into larger offensive roles.

On defense, this game is a toss-up. The Lady Bobcats allow just 58 points per game, while the Lady Eagles allow over 71 points per game. Despite their seemingly impressive scoring defense, the Lady Bobcats allow the third highest field goal percentage to their opponents.

The game is set to take place at Hartsell Arena at Pensacola State College, with tip-off currently set for 12:30 p.m. on ESPN+.

The winner of Friday’s matchup will move on to play Troy, who secured the No. 1 seed in the Sun Belt’s East division.