Splash returns to the Boro

Splash in the Boro waterpark to reopen for business come May

Eden Hodges, Correspondent

Splash in the Boro’s last summer in Statesboro was put on hold for the COVID-19 pandemic, but this summer, the waterpark made big plans to fully reopen, without mask requirements.

Beginning May 29, the waterpark will start their regular operational hours at 50% capacity to adhere to social distancing protocols. The park will be sanitized by park staff and will have spots marked to show social distancing in the lines for tickets, attractions and concessions, but visitors can leave their masks at home.

“We will encourage the mask-wearing of each guest on the pool decks,” said Eddie Canon, director of parks and recreation in a press release. “We will also ask that patrons social distance themselves the best they can to protect themselves and others.”

Their decision to omit mask requirements comes from a CDC statement: “CDC is not aware of any scientific reports of the virus that causes COVID-19 spreading to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, water playgrounds or other treated aquatic venues.”

Social distancing should be about the length of a typical pool noodle, according to the CDC.

Admission into the park for Bulloch County residents, military personnel and students is $14. More information can be found on Splash in the Boro’s website.