COVID Vaccines Unmasked: Questions and Answers from an Immunologist

Science on Tap Lecture Series Hosts Dr. Traci Ness to talk about the COVID-19 Vaccines

Rebecca Munday, Managing Editor

The College of Science and Mathematics hosted another installment of Science on Tap via Zoom called “COVID Vaccines Unmasked: Questions and Answers from an Immunologist” on Thursday, Apr. 22. 

Dr. Traci Ness, a professor on the Armstrong campus who teaches classes in biology and immunology, and who has a background in studying viruses especially pox viruses, gave a technical presentation on COVID-19 presentation. 

The presentation included information on how the vaccines were developed, how they work, how herd immunity works, what the side effects, and other common questions that have come up in the conversation surrounding the COVID-19 vaccine. 

Students, who want to watch the full lecture, which is about 70 minutes long, can do so on YouTube. 

The College of Science and Mathematics hosts the Science on Tap lecture series to “pour science into our community.” Under normal circumstances, monthly lectures are presented in Statesboro Eagle Creek Brewery and in Savannah at Savannah Coffee Roasters twice each semester.  

“Faculty speak on topics that are related to their research or teaching which are of general interest and educational for the community,” Dr. Delana Gajdosik-Nivens, the dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, said. 

Previous speakers have covered topics including coral reefs, sharks, mastodons, landscape archaeology, rubber and blue LEDs. 

In addition to the College of Science and Mathematics YouTube channel, students can find them on Facebook at @gsucosm, on Instagram at @GSUInstaCOSM, and on Twitter at @GSCOSM.