End of the Year Announcements from President Marrero

President Marrero writes on tuition rates, COVID-19, and Fall 2021

Rebecca Munday, Co-Editor-in-Chief

President Marrero sent out an email on May 7 updating students on tuition rates for the coming year, COVID-19 vaccinations and the university’s protocols for Fall 2021. 

At the beginning of the email, Marrero congratulated the 4,200 students who will graduate between May 8 and May 13. “Congratulations to our students who have worked tirelessly to achieve this milestone,” Marrero said. 

For the full schedule of graduation ceremonies and announcements, click here

Marrero also thanked the volunteers who have helped facilitate on-campus vaccination stations. “I want to also applaud the closed POD vaccination team – students, faculty, and staff – who have dedicated their time, in addition to their regular schedules, to ensuring our university community has ample access to COVID-19 vaccines.”

At the time of writing the letter, the university had administered 7,000 COVID-19 vaccines through their POD vaccination teams. This is a “critical component to our future ability to be fully open this fall,” according to Marrero.  

More opportunities for students to be vaccinated will continue throughout this summer and fall. The George-Anne Inkwell will share more information on those opportunities as it becomes available. 

The Center for Disease Control and the Georgia Department of Public Health made recent changes to public health guidelines. The governor’s office recently wrote an executive order regarding COVID-19. 

Because of these changes, the university is reassessing its guidelines and plans to be fully open and face-to-face in the fall while adhering to those guidelines. “As always, we will continue to adhere to public health and safety guidelines and will actively communicate changes with you as we approach the fall semester,” said Marrero. 

The Board of Regents announced that students’ tuition and mandatory fees will not increase in the 2020-21 academic year for the second year in a row. For the full Board of Regents announcement, click here. 

Marrero also commended this year’s many achievements of the student athletes, coaches, and support staff. The All-Girl Cheerleading Squad won their sixth national championship.

The Men’s Golf and Women’s Tennis teams earned Sun Belt Championship Conference trophies. The school Rifle team set a new school record and placed second at the 2021 SoCon Rifle Championship.

The competitive Clay Target team competed in a team competition for the first time at the 2021 Association of College Unions International Collegiate Clay Targets Championships, and won the Division 4 Championship.