‘Our Town’: A play that is “transcendental, human, raw”

Mckenzie Kerrigan, Managing Editor

This week from Feb. 23 to 27, catch ‘Our Town’ at the Center for Art and Theatre at 7:30 p.m. for $6 per student. Our exclusive interview with the stage manager, Cameron Driggers, gives us a preview of the Georgia Southern theatre department’s performance this semester. 

Q: What is ‘Our Town’ about?

A: “Plot-wise, ‘Our Town’ is a meta-theatrical production about the daily life and growing up of people in a fictional, New Hampshire town from 1901-1913, and the audience is being guided through those years.”

Q: What is the message the play is sending?

A: “The ultimate message of the play is to enjoy what we have while we have it. We should be engaged every chance we have with our experience and with one another.”

Q: What does this play mean to you?

A: “The play is about understanding that we can’t experience every waking moment of our lives, but that we should make a conscious effort to try. It’s a play that is specific in its description of a town, its people and the timeline; but is so oddly universally applicable to really any town or small city, particularly in the United States. It is so profoundly human in its straightforward display of emotion and makes great use of religious and philosophical undertones in exploring the simplicity of everyday life.”

Q: Why should students come to see it?

A: “The trap of “Our Town” is to think it’s about nostalgia, which is why every high school in America does it (a paraphrase of the director, Dr. Sarah McCarroll), but it’s not. Students should come to see “Our Town” because not only does this production focus on connecting with one another, but because no one can make 28 undergraduates connect with a text like Dr. McCarroll, and this is easily one of the most talented casts I’ve ever been a part of.”