Does ‘Euphoria’ glamorize drugs?

Students react

Does Euphoria glamorize drugs?

Mckenzie Kerrigan, Managing Editor

The recent hit show on HBO Max, Euphoria, follows a group of high school students who battle some extreme challenges. However, this series faces backlash after its intense nudity, violence and more importantly, substance abuse.

The Drug Abuse Resistance Program (D.A.R.E) slams the show after “glorifying drugs”. We searched the streets to see what Georgia Southern students had to say.

What Euphoria stars had to say: 

With Euphoria’s second season airing, D.A.R.E has issued a statement advising against the teen drama. They claimed the show to be a “misguided and erroneous” depiction of drug use in teens.

With Zendaya, a lead star in the series stating, “Our show is in no way a moral tale to teach people how to live their life or what they should be doing. If anything, the feeling behind Euphoria, or whatever we have always been trying to do with it, is to hopefully help people feel a little bit less alone in their experience and their pain.”

The question: Is Euphoria glamorizing drugs?

As we searched the street for student’s opinions, here is what some had to say:

Aaliyah, a sophomore majoring in psychology, said, “I feel like Euphoria shows the danger of how addicting drugs can be when someone is dependent on something. Rue’s addiction threatens everything that’s important to her relationships and life. And then we see Rue go through withdrawal after she “hits rock bottom”, which just shows us the horrible impact of drugs.”

Sierra, a sophomore majoring in film, said, “After watching seasons one and two of Euphoria, I am thoroughly convinced that director Sam Levinson has conducted the utmost research to accurately portray what it is like to be a functional addict. Although the show has bright colors and flavors to add to the plot, once these special effects are removed, viewers must face the cold, hard truth about addiction. Everything that Rue has done in this show could very well be done in real life. From the suicidal attempts, to the self-sabotage and family destruction, Rue is undoubtedly what most addicts in America are like.”

What do you think?

While no opinion is the right one, only you can decipher what a show means to you. With the show reeling into a close with its season finale just around the corner, we can only wait to see how they continue to depict these modern teenage issues.