Statesboro hosts its first Downtown Getdown

• Statesboro will host its first Downtown Getdown Friday. Downtown Getdown is a free event to celebrate the start of the GS football season. 

Tara Bailey

Statesboro is hosting its first Downtown Getdown on Friday on East Main Street from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

The goal of the event is to bring people from the community and students from GS together to celebrate before the first football game of the season against South Carolina State.

“I thought that this was an excellent opportunity to get the students up on campus and the community together in a situation where we can celebrate kicking off a new year for Georgia Southern University,” Mayor Jonathan McCollar said.

The event, which has partnered with organizations like Coca-Cola, will also feature local vendors, bands, line dancing and family-friendly activities. GS mascot GUS and other members from GS Athletics are expected to attend as well.

“Statesboro has a very beautiful downtown, and we want to show it off and introduce it to those students that [are] coming in [who are] brand new to the area,” McCollar said.

According to its website, a portion of the funds raised at Downtown Getdown will be donated to local charities that the community votes for.

For more information, check out the event’s website or Facebook page.

Tara Bailey, The George-Anne Enterprise Reporter, gamed@georgiasouthern.edu