Georgia Southern Film Club to host first ever film festival

• Georgia Southern University Film Club will be hosting its first student-led, on-campus, competitive film festival. The festival will accept different styles of film including documentaries, animated films, music videos and narrative films.

Coy Kirkland

Georgia Southern University Film Club will be hosting its first student-led, on-campus, competitive film festival.

The goal of the festival is to get students to interact with fellow filmmakers their age to create impressive pieces. The festival is also attempting to get students to independently create pieces outside of their classes.

Connor Rentz, senior film and production major, is the elected president of the Film Club on campus and stated that the club’s goals have been to find new exciting ways to bring learning opportunities and unique experiences to the GS film community.

The festival will accept different styles of film including documentaries, animated films, music videos and narrative films.

“What really helped me progress as an artist were the opportunities to have my films in festivals and meet other filmmakers,” Rentz said. “The other officers and I at Film Club are doing our best to give similar opportunities to the rest of campus.”

The normal deadline for submissions will be on Jan. 11 and selected films will be announced on Feb. 15.

The showing and main event of the festival will be hosted March 29. This will include the screening of the selected films and the awards ceremony, followed by a reception to network with other festival attendees.

More events and activities will be announced as the festival date gets closer.

Rentz also advised any student interested in joining film club should attend their weekly meetings every Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in Sanford 1002.

Coy Kirkland, Creative Managing Editor, gamed@georgiasouthern.edu