Opportunities in the Community: Fall 2022 Savannah Browse

The Office of Student Activities recently invited students to explore the goods and services of local businesses, non-profit agencies and various campus departments at the Fall 2022 Savannah Browse, hosted by the Office of Student Activities

Paul Bradley, the assistant director of the Office of Student Activities, shared that the purpose of The Browse was for different campus departments and local organizations to engage with new and returning students to get them involved with upcoming activities and opportunities.

A diverse gathering of organizations turned up to the event. It showcased many different ways for students to get involved with servicing the community and the campus they are a part of.

Nonprofit organizations such as Ogeechee Riverkeeper shared their current volunteer opportunities with the attendees. Kris Howard of Ogeechee Riverkeeper encouraged students to take part in the volunteer programs, highlighting the gratification of helping out your local community and taking care of the environment and habitats we rely on.

Attendees were encouraged to sign up for informational newsletters and free subscriptions to learn more about the individual programs and opportunities.
Some of the participating departments and businesses passed out flyers, free merchandise and vouchers to attendees.

Georgia Regional Hospital-Savannah was represented by Hallie Worthington and a service dog at the Savannah Browse. Worthington said that the goal of reaching out to students was to inform, destigmatize and expand volunteer opportunities in the community regarding mental health.

Relay For Life, an organization that most of us are familiar with, was also in attendance at the event. I picked up one of their flyers that outlined their numerous volunteer opportunities in the local area.

These opportunities include helping to plan fundraising activities throughout the year, organizing event activities for children and teams and recruiting new businesses for sponsorship with Relay For Life and partnership with the American Cancer Society.

Additionally, the Relay For Life booth provided flyers with the recommended cancer screening tests for different age groups and a save-the-date information card for the Relay For Life of the Coastal Empire 2023.

There were also a wide variety of student organizations at the event, to promote many different aspects of health, wellness and community. The Wellness Ambassadors, a part of the Student Wellness and Health Promotion department, passed out goodies and information cards about upcoming wellness events and how to join the organization.

The Office of Multicultural Affairs shared its mission of diversity and cultural enrichment with students during the event, advertising their mentorship and student success programs and their upcoming heritage celebrations. Some of the upcoming events hosted by this department include the MLK Celebration and the Holi Festival of Colors.

For more information about how to get involved with student organizations such as the ones mentioned above, visit the student organization directory on the Office of Student Activities web page and browse through the hundreds of groups looking for new members.