Easy ways to go green

How can you do your part?

Easy ways to go green

Sandra Sanders, Lifestyle Editor

Changing the world is a hard thing to do. Helping out the planet is not. Here are some easy ways to go green on and off campus:

• Compost at home: Composting is the act of recycling certain food waste and plants to create a natural soil fertilizer. One way to compost without having any lingering odors is to keep a container in your freezer and just add the fruits or vegetables until it is full. 
  • Join a club: Georgia Southern has numerous student organizations that focus on the environment or helping out the planet. Here are some clubs to consider that are focus on either the Armstrong campus, Statesboro campus, or both: 
    • The Green Ambassadors
    • Coastal Gardening Club
    • Botanic Garden at Georgia Southern University
    • Community Garden
  • Recycle: Georgia Southern has over six-hundred recycling bins on campus, but you can recycle at home too! By flattening cardboard boxes, saving glass bottles, or collecting pieces of plastic, you can make a recycling system in your home!
  • Unplug: Make sure to unplug appliances that aren’t being used like a coffee machine, hair straightener, or toaster. 
  • Flip the Switch: Turn off your TV, ceiling fan, lights, and anything else that you might forget to switch off before leaving. 
  • Garden: Although some of us live in apartments or in places that don’t have a yard, you can find ways to plant flowers or plants that blossom to support your pollinators. Whether it is a small garden back at your parent’s house or borrowing a friend’s backyard, creating a garden can give insects a place to go. Insects like honeybees have a bigger effect on the environment than you might realize and would appreciate some flowers to visit.  
  • Reuse and Reduce: One of the easiest ways to help the planet is to just find simple ways to reuse products and reduce waste. Go for a dish towel instead of a paper towel, try to spread out doing loads of laundry, or find more eco-friendly cleaning products.