Southern Pride Marching Band drops participation fee

Brendan Ward

The Southern Pride Marching Band announced this week that its members will no longer need to pay the participation fee for being in the band.

The participation fee, usually paid for by its members of SPMB, will now be funded by the Office of the Provost. Though the band’s operating budget and expenditures are not affected by this change.

Items usually paid for by the participation fee include the shirts, shorts, hats, and shoes that the students wear and some of the equipment that the students use throughout the season.

Dan Haddad, Ph.D., explained the reasoning for the fee being covered.

“Like our athletes, students in the Southern Pride Marching Band represent Georgia Southern across the country and consistently go above and beyond through our summer band camp, frequent rehearsals and numerous high profile performances in support of our University,” Haddad said. “We hope that by removing this fee for participation, it will be possible for more students join and remain in the marching band for their entire time at Georgia Southern.”

Haddad said aside from the color guard and majorettes the participation fee does not cover the cost for instruments, repairs or uniforms.

Caitlin Johnson, next year’s color guard captain, said she was grateful for the support from the university.

“I am absolutely thrilled about members not paying dues, as is everyone else,” Johnson. “As we are ambassadors for the university, it is fantastic to get support from the place we love so much.”

Matthew Enfinger contributed to this article 

Brendan Ward, Daily Managing Editor, gadigital@georgiasouthern.edu