Divine Nine Fraternity Suspended

Nayia Worrell, Your Newsroom, Editor-in-Chief

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc- Xi Tau chapter has been suspended from Georgia Southern University following reports of hazing. 

What we know: The fraternity is accused of hitting, punching, and physically hurting students during initiation ceremonies, according to the incident report.

• Although no medical attention was required, several students were left with bruises.
  • The hazing practices were led by an individual whose name has been redacted. This person was attempting to ensure that the pledges went through the initiation process. 

What’s happening: In a letter addressed to the fraternity, Cecilia Dockery, Assistant Director of Student Conduct, stated that the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc – Xi Tau Chapter is no longer recognized by the university. 

• During this period of Organization Disciplinary Suspension, the fraternity may not seek or add new members, hold or sponsor events, or sponsor or attend any events that are social in nature. 
  • Further violations may result in additional sanctions. 
  • The suspension is effective until December 31, 2023.
  • The fraternity has been placed on Organization Disciplinary Probation from January 1, 2024, through December 31, 2024. 

Flashback: Another National Pan-Hellenic Council, also known as Divine nine fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi, has been suspended since December 31, 2019, and will remain suspended until August 1, 2025, for hazing. 

The official chapter page of GS has not been updated to show Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. status.