Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

Convocation Center will soon be home for Men’s and Women’s basketball teams

The Convocation Center is set to be completed in the Spring of 2024 and the GS basketball teams will call the new arena home in time for the 2024-25 season. 

What’s next: The Convocation Center will be located on University-owned land on the southwest side of the intersection of Lanier Drive and Veterans Memorial Parkway (US 301 bypass).

Why it matters: Hanner Fieldhouse first opened in 1969 as the home for the Georgia Southern Volleyball team, as well as Men’s and Women’s basketball teams. Hanner Fieldhouse will still serve as the home for Women’s volleyball. 

• “I’m just happy for four new walls that are directly for women’s and men’s basketball so we don’t have to share it with anyone else,” said Women’s Head Coach Anita Howard.
  • “They will have our weight room in there and our offices are going to be in there,” said Coach Howard. “Right now those two facilities are not inside of Hanner for us, so that is going to be a real pleasure.”

What they are saying: We asked some players from the teams about their favorite moments at Hanner, how the move impacts the team, and what it means moving forward. 

• “My most memorable moment at Hanner Fieldhouse is the first bucket of the season when everyone would throw toilet paper on the court,” said Derrick Harris Jr., sophomore guard.
  • “I think this will be a memorable season, you know we are looking to do something special this year,” said Pierce Shirk, freshman guard.
  • “This is our last shot in Hanner and I think we’ve got the best squad that we’ve had in the four years I’ve been here and I think we’re gonna surprise some people,” said Eden Johnson, senior forward. 
  • “Honestly, I didn’t know too much about it when I was coming in. I heard a few things about it being built and I’m super excited to play in it,” said Liv Fuller, freshman forward.