My Farewell to Armstrong

Jeffery Glover

My sophomore year, sitting in the Intro to Journalism class, changed my life. I will always remember being captivated by the opportunity to have a voice and to write for the school paper.

At that time, I had no reporting experience. I just knew I had to get involved, especially since I had decided to stay on the Armstrong campus. The Inkwell was the perfect place for me.

When I began in October 2021, it was just myself, Rebecca and Duncan, who had been producing the paper between them. With Rebecca graduating in December, I knew I had big shoes to fill.

I learned as much as I could about being the digital editor-in-chief from her during her last month. Entering the next semester, it would be just Duncan and me. I was excited but also faced a huge amount of impostor syndrome, feeling I didn’t know what I was doing.

By the end of the semester, our team had grown to nine, and I knew I had a passion for reporting and being a watchdog for the public.

I began to understand that journalism is a public service. Without it, corruption runs unchecked and democracy is at risk. Student media is integral to reinforcing this sentiment to the nation’s next generation of journalists.

My time in student media provided me with opportunities and experiences that would not have been possible without taking up the chance in Professor Bill Dawer’s Introduction to Journalism.

From traveling the country for professional development opportunities to winning awards against some of the best universities in the country, to late-night print production and discussions in the newsroom about our next steps, what we’ve missed in our reporting and how we can improve the campus.

Being involved with The Inkwell has confirmed my passion, which is reporting and being the voice of the voiceless, telling the stories of those who don’t often get heard. As I close this chapter, I feel grateful for my time here and wouldn’t change a thing.

I couldn’t have reached this point without the support and guidance of my adviser, David Simpson; my professors, Karla Jennings and Bill Dawers; and Justine Cozza, who has been of immense support through just one semester.

Throughout this journey, I have worked with amazing people including my dear friend Emmalyne Roper, and learned from the best, including Rebecca Munday and Duncan Sligh.

I am also thankful for every staff member who has contributed to The Inkwell’s success. My family and friends back home have been a constant support, always eager to read every article I write.

In my first letter from the editor, when I first became editor-in-chief, I said our coverage would speak for itself. Almost two years later, I can confidently say it has.

THANK YOU, ARMSTRONG. I will always cherish my time here, providing the most accurate and up-to-date information.

View Comments (2)