Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

Black Heritage Month Kickoff

Carly Kennedy
Georgia Southern’s Gospel Choir poses in front of the yellow, red, green, and black decorated balloon wall.

What Happened: Georgia Southern’s Office of Multicultural Affairs hosted their annual Black Heritage Month Kickoff. The kickoff was described by participants to be a lively and eccentric event, thanks to a big collaborative effort by members of the Georgia Southern community.

• “Between our coordinators, and our graduate assistants and students, we work together to form the logistics and get the entertainment and foods and make sure that it’s a safe and inclusive space for everyone to come and learn and engage in the network,” said Kevin Reese, the Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

• The event also featured Black campus organizations like the Black Book Club, M.O.V.E, various Black Greek life organizations and more to give more information about their respective groups. 

• In addition, the kickoff showcased live music from a DJ, bassist, drummer, pianist, and the Georgia Southern Gospel Choir.

Why It Matters: “The purpose was for folks to come and engage and ask questions and network with people who look differently, talk differently, and think differently, to get the chance to engage without the fear of judgment,” said Reese.