Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

Georgia Southern University Accused of Silently Rolling Back LGBTQIA+ resources, events, and trainings

Georgia Southern is accused of rapidly removing LGBTQIA+ resources, altering LGBTQIA+ focused events, and other supportive programs without notifying students, faculty, and staff. 

In response, sit-ins are scheduled for Monday, April 29th,  on both the Armstrong and Statesboro campuses from 11 am to 1 pm. 

According to an open letter written by Boro Pride, an LGBTQIA+ organization based in Statesboro, “Information about services, including therapy groups for LGBTQIA+ students, trainings to educate faculty/staff about LGBTQIA+ identities (i.e., Safe Space/Zone), medical treatments for transgender students, career resources, LGBTQIA+ symbolism, and diversity statements from the university website was removed from public view. In addition to reducing the visibility of services for LGBTQIA+ students, GSU pride flags were promptly removed from the shelves of the university bookstore, and adjustments were made to programming for upcoming events for LGBTQIA+ students.”  

The letter also alleges that the University adjusted major LGBTQIA+ events, including the Lavender Graduation Celebrations on both the Armstrong and Statesboro campuses.  The letter reads in part, “two Lavender Graduation Celebrations, ceremonies honoring the achievements of LGBTQIA+ graduates, were moved to earlier, less convenient times, and university-sponsored catering was withdrawn.”

LGBTQIA+ organizations, both on and off campus, are speaking out against Georgia Southern’s alleged decision. 

First City Pride, a Savannah based LGBTQIA+ organization, shared a public statement on Instagram reading in part, “First City Pride Center is calling on University officials for the immediate action to be taken in reversing this decision. Our region has one of the largest and most diverse LGBTQIA+ populations in the deep south.” 

Georgia Southern’s Students with Disabilities Advocacy Group also made a statement on Instagram that reads, “SDAG is saddened and angered by the Georgia Southern administration’s recent attempts to silence support, resources, and signage for the LGBTQIA+ community on campus.” 

Statesboro’s Boro Pride Organization, First City Pride, and the Students with Disabilities Advocacy Group have all posted on social media promoting the sit-ins happening on Monday. 

We have reached out to Georgia Southern University for comment and are still waiting to hear back. At the time of publishing this article, the University has not made a public statement regarding the allegations. 

The full open letter and all social media posts mentioned in this article can be found using the hyperlinks included.