Georgia Southern in process of transitioning from an R2 educational institution to an R1 university

Georgia Southern is in the process of transitioning from an R2 educational institution to an R1 university. This comes as the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the American Council on Education (ACE) change their methodology for determining institutional classifications.

According to David C. Weindorf, Ph.D., GS Vice President for Research & Economic Development,

• “As we likely transition into R1 territory in the coming years, it will reflect the evolution of Georgia Southern to meet changing workforce needs, shifting paradigms in higher education, and further solidify us as a key state institution educating America’s next, great generation.” 

For several years, Georgia Southern has been classified as a Carnegie R2: Doctoral University with high research activity. Educational institutions with this classification meet criteria based on a threshold- confer 20 doctoral research degrees that also have at least $5 million in total research expenditures in a given year. In a few years though, Georgia Southern will likely meet the threshold for R1 Carnegie Classification. Carnegie R1 status is conferred when a university reaches 70 awarded research doctoral degrees and $50 million in total research expenditures in a given year.

• According to Weindorf, “As we build momentum toward R1 status, the university will seek to expand opportunities for students to engage in research. Examples might include opportunities to work as a student technician on an externally funded research project, research study abroad opportunities, more opportunities to engage in the Georgia Southern Student Scholars Symposium (GS4), or presenting their novel research works at national conferences and in peer reviewed research journals.

For students, this could mean new faculty in several colleges, who “in addition to teaching and service duties… work to write grants which will benefit students through assistantships for graduate education, and undergraduate experiences within laboratories, shops, and institutes,” said Weindorf.

When asked about potential downsides this classification change could mean for the university, Weindorf responded,

• “We are building momentum to become an R1 university, but will do so on our terms, in a way that makes sense for Georgia Southern University. There are other R1 institutions in the state of Georgia; we are not trying to replicate them. Rather, we want to arrive at R1 status with deference to our strengths, our relationships, our culture and values that make Georgia Southern unique and valued by all on our campuses.”