Volunteers needed for annual Feed the Boro event

George Andersen

Feed the Boro, a local organization whose mission is to feed Statesboro citizens who are financially unable to feed themselves, will deliver Thanksgiving meals to homes and host a Thanksgiving lunch at Statesboro High School in the upcoming week.

This organization, run by the Christian Social Ministry, has already planned to feed more than 2,000 people this season, and the number is growing, Feed the Boro Chair Kimberly Forstrom told the Statesboro Herald.

For more than 20 years, Feed the Boro has delivered Thanksgiving meals to the homes of those in need. This year, in addition to those deliveries, they plan to host a meal at Statesboro High School for the first time.

“In reviewing the past year, we discovered that even though people are thrilled to get a free Thanksgiving meal delivered to them, many of them are alone with no family and would enjoy being with others to celebrate this special holiday,” Forstrom said.

Meals will be served from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving day, but volunteers are needed for this event on Nov. 22 and Nov. 23. To volunteer for the Thanksgiving meal at Statesboro High School, sign up on the Feed the Boro Facebook page.

While many of the volunteer shifts are already filled, volunteers are still needed for break down and clean-up shifts as well as deliveries.

To get a meal delivered to yourself or someone you know, or to sign up for a meal at Statesboro High school, Christian Social Ministry can be reached at 912-489-2407.