Clockin’ in: Changes coming to GS payroll

Brendan Ward

Georgia Southern University is changing their payroll system for all employees starting in December.

The new payroll system goes live Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017 for bi-weekly and hourly employees, such as student employees and and January 1, 2018 for monthly employees and faculty, for example professors.

The new system is called OneUSG Connect.

OneUSG Connect

OneUSG Connect is a new payroll system that the entire University System of Georgia is adopting in an attempt to have a system wide payroll system.

“OneUSG [Connect] is a system wide initiative to develop and implement a consistent approach to policies, procedures and technology solutions that benefits all entities of the University System of Georgia,” Denis Gebara, director of employee relations, said.

The new system will will affect all employees of GS including student employees, non-students employees and faculty, though it will not impact employee pay schedules.

For employees, the process to clock in and out will be very similar, though the new system is supposed to bring more functionality, Kim Brown, project manager for OneUSG Connect, said.

Most of the changes in the new system will be on the back end in Human Resources, Budget Office and Payroll, Brown said.

Gebara does not want employees to worry about the new payroll system.

“Don’t be nervous. The biggest thing to know is that the change is coming and you will just need to log into a different system to get paid,” Gebara said. “How you enter your time now is going to be really similar to what you do now.”

New Features

The new system brings a variety of functions that were lacking in the current payroll system, the Automatic Data Process system.

Some of the new features include:

• A mobile friendly interface that has a streamlined system that resembles a mobile app
  • The ability to request time off and edit personal information including: pay stubs, direct deposit and benefits on a mobile phone.
  • The ability to access payroll and benefits from a mobile device
  • Single single on and no passwords needed to login
  • Easy time entry for students with multiple jobs

ADP

OneUSG Connect will replace GS’ current ADP system, which has been in place since 2009.

ADP is being replaced because of cost concerns and the fact that the technical structure was not up to today’s technical standards, Gebara said.

The new system is also expected to save the USG money since the university system will own the new system. Though the exact amount of saving is unknown at this time.

“We have not been given an amount of savings,” Brown said. “Generally the savings will be realized because the USG owns the system rather than contracting for the service.”

Understanding the new system

There are a variety of programs available for students to learn about the new system.

“There are a lot of resources available to employees: a website, multiple YouTube Videos, training sessions, upcoming instructional emails and open labs,” Gebara said. “We are even working with IT to join up with MyTechHelp as a place to go ask questions if you need assistance. That isn’t available, yet, but that announcement will be coming out soon.”

The MyTechHelp page is not up yet, but when it goes live, the page is designed to be a centralized help center for anyone experiencing difficulties with OneUSG Connect.

Reactions

Samantha Poffenberger, sophomore theatre major, works at the GS scene shop and supports the new payroll system.

“I don’t think it’s completely ‘necessary’ because the system we have now works not amazingly well, but it works,” Poffenberger said. “However, there are issues with our current system and I’ve heard stories from other friends working on campus that they have had bigger problems than I’ve had, so in their cases maybe it is necessary that [GS] switch.”

Taylor Mount, sophomore multimedia film production major works at Starbucks on campus and does not see much difference between the two systems.

“I like that we don’t have to memorize the number, but it’s not too big of a difference, we just get to swipe our card now,” Mount said.

Managers at the on-campus Chick-fil-a and Starbucks, as well as the executive director of Eagle Dining and the general manager of the dining commons were reached for comment, but we unable to answer due to university policy.