Investigation of rape and alcohol violation report at Eagle Village continues

Matthew Enfinger

Correction Sept. 26:

This article was updated to remove information attributed to The Statesboro Herald which that newspaper subsequently said was incorrect. The Statesboro Herald said it had incorrectly quoted GS communications director Jennifer Wise as saying students had been charged with an alcohol violation. A correction was also made by The George-Anne to rephrase the inaccurate statement of “many students.” The George-Anne regrets this mistake. 

Georgia Southern University continues to investigate a reported “strong arm rape” and an alcohol violation that occurred at on-campus housing complex Eagle Village.

A man, 21, “non-affiliated” with the university was named as a suspect in an incident report by the university, with two Eagle Village residents as witnesses.

Laura McCullough, GS Chief of Police, said that several people were referred with the alcohol violation. However, specifics on whether the victim and witnesses will be charged is currently unavailable to the public due to the ongoing investigation.

The alcohol violation came into question after it was first reported by The Statesboro Herald.

McCullough still advises students to report criminal activity despite the chance of being charged with a violation from the university.

“They [students] have to weigh the consequences themselves,” McCullough said.”What’s more serious, the fact that I might get in trouble with the university because I have alcohol in my room, or that something bad is happening possibly to my roommate or someone else?”

McCullough explained that the alcohol violation was charged judicially, through the university, and not as a criminal charge.

“We’re looking at the claim of the sexual assault totally separate,” McCullough said.”So, the fact that an alcohol violation was mentioned was something from prior in the evening. We take any claim of sexual assault very seriously.”

GS has a three-strike policy for students found responsible for an alcohol violation, alcohol possession and use regulation. Sanctions in the three-strike policy include, but are not limited to: disciplinary probation, alcohol education course, fees, fines and parental notification. Suspension may also be included as a sanction in some cases.

According to McCullough, the investigation should be complete soon and will be presented to the district attorney’s office and will be determined whether or not the case will be prosecuted.