CFS honors sustainable projects with third annual green eagles awards

Brendan Ward

The Center for Sustainability is currently accepting nominations for the third annual Green Eagle Awards.

The Green Eagles Awards were started in 2015 to honor members of the Georgia Southern University community who are actively contributing towards GS’s goal of sustainability through sustainability projects.

Lisa Leege, director of the CFS, explained the original motivation for starting the awards.

“We wanted to honor some of the people that are working so hard towards sustainability on our campus,” Leege said. “It takes a team to make progress, and this is a way to recognize the sustainability champions on our campus.”

Nominations are open to any GS student, faculty or staff member, and the deadline to submit a nomination is April 3 at 11:59 p.m.

The nomination form can be found on the CFS website.

Nominations should be submitted by faculty mentor, adviser, staff member or colleague who is familiar with the nominee’s work and not self-submitted.

All nominations must include:

• A statement describing the nominee’s sustainability role and activities at GS.

• A statement describing the nominee’s contributions to campus sustainability projects or research.

• A description of the impact the nominee’s activities on sustainability initiatives at GS.

Once all applications are in, the Center for Sustainability Fee Committee will decide the winners based on the above criteria and winners will be notified by email.

The winners will be honored at an award ceremony, which will be held on April 20 in the first floor exhibit area of Henderson Library at 3 p.m.

During the ceremony the winners will be awarded with a certificate and a thank you award from the CFS. A plaque with all of the 2017 winners’ names on it will also be revealed during the ceremony.

All information about the awards, including a full list of requirements, as well as previous winners, can be found on the CFS website under the grants and awards tab.