GS to host third annual Holi Festival

Brendan Ward

The Multicultural Student Center, the Office of International Programs and Services and the South-Asian Student Organization are hosting the third annual Holi Festival on Thursday.

The festival is open to the public, will take place on Georgia Avenue in front of the University Store and Dining Commons and will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

During the festivities, students from the South Asian Student Organization will teach traditional dances, and there will be the traditional celebration of color, which involves throwing powdered chalk of various colors at people.

It is recommended that attendees wear a plain white t-shirt or a shirt they do not mind getting dirty to the event due to the powdered chalk.

The Dining Commons will serve authentic Indian cuisine from 11 a.m to 9 p.m. to coincide with the festival.

Free t-shirts and glasses will be given out to the first 150 people who attend the festival.

Holi is a traditional holiday celebrated by Hindus and Sikhs. It translates into “The Festival of Colors” and celebrates the victory of good over bad.

It is both a religious and socio-culture festival that is typically celebrated by smearing various colored paints on people as a sign of love and belongingness. Holi is usually used to usher in Spring.

“Attending Holi is a great way for students to expand their cultural awareness and participate in an international festival,” Takeisha Brown, director of the Multicultural Student Center, said.

Georgia Southern University students will need to bring their eagle ID to the event.

For more information on Holi, click here to watch a video.