Students “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” to raise money for sexual assault victims

Tara Bailey

Georgia Southern University students will walk a mile in red high-heeled shoes for the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on Thursday.

The event will start at 5 p.m. at the rotunda at Russell Union. To register, students can either visit the Walk a Mile GS page, or they can arrive at Russell Union at 3:30 p.m. on March 30.

This is the fifth year that GS has hosted Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, which seeks to raise awareness towards sexual violence and gender violence.

Michelle Martin, GS University Wellness program director, hopes this event will open people to more conversation about sexual and gender violence.

“They should come to learn more about sexual and gender violence, learn how they can play a role in ending the violence as well as advocate for survivors,” Martin said.

Men are not the only ones that can participate in the event. Anyone can take part in the event to raise awareness towards gender violence and sexual violence.

“The majority of the participants are men, as the event seeks to educate men how to be role models for their peers and to learn the role they play in ending sexual assault, but all genders are welcome to walk,” Martin said.

The money raised at the event will be donated to the Statesboro Regional Sexual Assault Center (SRSAC), which raised $3,200 last year, according the GS University Wellness Program’s Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event page.

SRSAC provides free services for victims of sexual assault and child abuse, including forensic medical exams, crisis advocacy, referrals for counseling and medical services, according to Christie Perry, the executive director of SRSAC.

“We can accompany survivors to any medical follow up appointments, as well as be there during any legal proceedings. An advocate’s main job is to support and be a positive voice for survivors,” Perry said.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is sponsored by the University Wellness program, Health Services, Sexual Assault Student Educators, Fraternity and Sorority Life, the Multicultural Student Center, and the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART).