Gay Straight Alliance hosts first meeting of the semester

Erin McGuiness

The Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) is holding a welcome back meeting tonight, Aug. 22 in the Russell Union room 2084 at 7:30 p.m. The meetings are open to any Georgia Southern University student who is seeking a safe and comforting space.

“Our goal for this year is to provide a space of safety and encouragement to be one’s self all while we attempt to educate the Georgia Southern campus on GSM issues. We alway strive for our organization to be as inclusive and accepting as possible,” Ethan Winters, GSA president, said.

Students should attend to get to know the executive board and members, learn about upcoming events and open their minds to new ideas and people, Winters said.

“[The Gay Straight Alliance is] a good thing because you have people that don’t really like talking about [the gender/sexual minority spectrum], so it’s a way for them to express their opinions,” Tara Gay, freshman undeclared major, said.

GSA’s first meeting is focused on providing a safe space and encouragement to be one’s self. The organization’s overall goal is to educate the GS campus on gender sexual minorities.

“GSU has pride, so if someone attacks and organization, we stand up for each other,” KD Sterling, sophomore English major, said.