First annual True Blue Experience event aims to start new tradition

Tandra Smith and Marquietta Green

Multiple organizations on campus have joined forces in order to create the first annual True Blue Experience event that will be held on Friday, April 15 from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m. in the Paulson Stadium parking lot.

“The True Blue Experience is an event designed to be a tradition that gets all the students on campus together,” Cera Weaver, President of GSU’s Residence Hall Association, said.

Weaver says that the event is an equal partnership between the Student Government Association, University Programming Board, Fraternity and Sorority Life and RHA. This year’s event will have a music fest theme, but next year, the theme could be different.

“Next year we have lots of plans in the works. We’re hoping that it’s going to encompass a little bit more than just a music festival–having student organization involvement to really show the diversity that Georgia Southern has to offer,” Weaver said.

Brandi Glenn, senior psychology major, will attend the event, but believes it won’t be too fancy.

“I will probably attend the event just to see if it’s better. It is a music event so they might bring a performer, nothing too fancy,” Glenn said.

Some students would have preferred to have a Spring Concert this year but hope this event can replace it.

“I was hoping to have a Spring concert this year but I guess after last year’s incident this will probably be something they do instead. Hopefully this will be something other students will enjoy,” Ashley Miller, junior psychology major, said.

The office of Fraternity and Sorority Life is involved by having a financial commitment to the event. Francisco Lugo, the director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, has expressed that it is important that the department gets involved.

“We feel that this [event] highlights what being at Georgia Southern is, being that Greek life makes up 42 percent of the Georgia Southern community. We feel that it is important for us to be at the table when these events occur. That is a True Blue experience,” Lugo said.

Besides the financial side, the National Panhellenic Council will also be participating in the event by doing a unity stroll with other members of the Greek life community.

“We’ve made sure we reached out to the community for people to attend the event and to also give their feedback on the event and what could we do to make it better,” Lugo said. “Of all of the different organizations involved, the department feels as though we will have a more diverse way of getting feedback from students.”