Three members of Migos arrested at Spring Bling concert

Nadia Dreid

UPDATE: April 20 2:05 p.m.: Michelle Davis, executive director of the Office of Student Activities, said that students who attended the concert will not receive a refund.

“No [refund]. Spring Bling was designed as a fun event for students with several opening acts, DJ dance party, and a headliner performance by Migos. Migos did go on stage and perform a thirty minute set,” Davis said.  

According to Davis, more than 2,000 tickets were sold for the event, 1,600 of which were GSU students. 

UPDATE: April 20 1:57 p.m.: The Office of Legal Affairs at Georgia Southern University has declined comment at this time in reference to a possible breach of contract by Migos.  

UPDATE April 20 11:28 a.m.: Quavious Marshall and Kirshnick Ball were both granted $10,000 bonds by the District Attorney’s office. Bond was denied for third member, Kiari Cephus, according to Jared Akins, Bulloch County Chief Deputy.

UPDATE April 20 9:24 a.m.: When Migos and their associates arrived to Hanner Fieldhouse in two vans, members of the Statesboro-Bulloch Crime Suppression Team “detected a very potent smell of marijuana” coming from the vans, according to a press release from the Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office. As Migos went inside Hanner to perform, CST investigators contacted the drivers of the vehicles.

“Subsequent investigation led to the discovery of marijuana, a separate Schedule II drug, and multiple firearms in the vehicles. These discoveries were intensely concerning as the drugs and firearms had been brought to a university sponsored event where over a thousand students were congregated. All occupants of the two vans were arrested after leaving the stage following the Migos performance, a total of 15 in all,” according to the press release.

The members were then transported to the Bulloch County Jail where they await bond review by the District Attorney’s office.

Officers of the Georgia Southern University Police Department as well as officers from the Statesboro Police Department and deputies with the Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office were on hand to serve as security for the concert. The joint Statesboro-Bulloch Crime Suppression Team was also present.

Maya Clark, president of the University Programming Board, said in an email that the venue, the talent and safety of the students and guests are “carefully considered.”

“While the events of Saturday evening were unfortunate, we will continue to work together with our students to bring concerts and other entertainment to campus for their enjoyment and that of the community,” Clark said.

UPDATE April 19 6:11 p.m.: The Bulloch County Sheriff Department’s database shows that Quavious Marshall, 24, known by his stage name Quavo, was also arrested Saturday night. He was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession, possession of a schedule II controlled substance, “carrying a weapon in [a] school safety zone” and “possession of firearm or knife during commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies.”

April 19 2:51 p.m.: Two members of rap trio Migos were arrested Saturday night after their performance in the Spring Bling 2015 concert in Hanner Fieldhouse.

According to arrest records, Migos member Kirshnick Ball, 20, known by the stage name Takeoff, was booked and charged with four crimes: misdemeanor marijuana possession, possession of a schedule II controlled substance, “carrying weapon in [a] school safety zone” and “possession of firearm or knife curing commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies.”

Kiari Cephus, 23, known by the stage name Offset, was also arrested and charged with four crimes: misdemeanor marijuana possession, possession of a schedule II controlled substance, “carrying weapon in [a] school safety zone” and “possession of firearm by [a] convicted felon.” 

The records indicate that as as of press time, bond had not been set.