Warhawks outlast Eagles in overtime

Hayden Boudreaux

With the Eagles sitting pretty at the top of the Sun Belt standings and on a five game winning streak, they were more than ready to take out the second ranked ULM Warhawks. After an intense bout and an overtime session, the Warhawks bested the Eagles, 71-68.

The Warhawks were able to strike first but were followed up by a three pointer by freshman guard Jake Allsmiler. Senior guard Jelani Hewitt quickly followed by draining two free throws then a three pointer. However, the away team would not be shaken off easily as they tied the game at eight points apiece. They broke the tie with a quick layup followed by a three pointer to give themselves a five point lead. A parade of three pointers from Curtis Diamond and Hewitt gave the Eagle faithful something to cheer about. After some intense back and forth, the Warhawks led 22-19 with 7:14 left in the first half. 

As the half came to a close, neither team could get an edge. Georgia Southern would pull ahead only to watch ULM pull ahead again. Hewitt continued to make it rain threes as he shook off coverage and nailed a fade away jumper. The half ended with the Warhawks on top, 34-29.

Both teams came out firing in the second half, but the Eagles were clearly in a rhythm. Allsmiller hit two more threes in the opening minutes to electrify the crowd. The team evenly distributed the points, with three players over ten points. As the second half continued the Eagles took a 43-39 lead over ULM. The home team piled on with Ferguson falling and nailing a long three pointer. The Eagles were clinging to a 50-45 lead with seven minutes on the clock. 

The Warhawks battled back to take a 53-52 lead with just over five minutes remaining. Each team traded two point shots and layups as well as the lead. With less than three minutes left the Eagles found themselves down by one point when they got a quick rebound and layup. ULM then picked up five quick points with a two pointer followed by a three. The Eagles were given the golden opportunity with four free throws to tie the game at 62. As ULM had the ball they took a shot and score but the game clock had stopped running with :00.8 seconds remaining. After review, it was shown that the clock ran out before the shot was taken, so the game was pushed into overtime. 

The first minute of overtime went scoreless for both teams. The Warhawks started things off with a three pointer and followed up with a layup. Hewitt brought his team within three points with two free throws before Ferguson grabbed a bucket to make it 67-66 with 1:29 remaining. The Warhawks tried to hold onto the ball as time was running out. Time expired before the Eagles could take a final shot, 71-68 Warhawks. 

Both Hewitt and Wiedeman finished the game with 14 points each. Ferguson’s effort late gave him 13 points on the night. The Eagles will take on Arkansas State this Thursday in Hanner.