Georgia Southern hosts annual Up Til’ Dawn fundraiser for St. Jude

Yasmeen Waliaga

On Nov. 14, students will participate in Georgia Southern’s annual Up Til’ Dawn event to benefit St. Jude’s Children’s hospital at the Recreational Activity Center.

“Up Til’ Dawn raises money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., for pediatric cancer,” Jamar Boyd, president of the St. Jude Up Til’ Dawn committee at Georgia Southern said.

This event is held each year on college campuses throughout the nation, all of which are fundraisers for the college’s local St. Jude.

Boyd said he became involved because the event allows him to have fun with the knowledge that he is contributing to a great cause by bringing much needed awareness to pediatric cancer.

“The goal for this year is to raise $12,000,” Boyd said.

This year, GSU students involved with St. Jude fundraising have collected $2,000 in funds, and they are aiming to reach the goal of $12,000 by May.

Participating students will arrive at the RAC at 9 p.m. on Friday and will stay awake until 2 a.m.

Throughout the night, there will be food and various activities that people can engage in with their friends. The activities include tie dying, trivia, Zumba and dodgeball.

There is no cost for students to participate in St. Jude Up Til’ Dawn, however those who participate in the event are encouraged to raise monetary donations if they choose to do so.

In order to sign up for the event, students may visit the webpage at www.stjude.org/utd.

Students can also follow the Twitter page, @UpTilDawnGSU.