Women’s soccer remains undefeated in conference play

• The Georgia Southern women’s soccer team won both of its home Sun Belt games over the weekend.

Jozsef Papp and Ozzie Bunbury

Despite the heavy rain that forced teams to play on a wet field, the Georgia Southern women’s soccer team (9-2-1, 4-0) was able to continue their win streak while staying undefeated in Sun Belt conference play. The Eagles shutout the Arkansas State Red Wolves (3-9, 0-3) at Eagle Field on Friday with a score of 2-0.

The field was dry by Sunday, and the Eagles continued to win. However, The University of Arkansas Little Rock (9-3-1, 0-3-1) wouldn’t go down easy. Both teams were able to score, but when the clock ran out, Georgia Southern was ahead 3-2.

Georgia Southern vs. Arkansas State

The Eagles led the entire game, with both goals coming in the first half.

The Eagles jumped out to an early lead when sophomore forward Melinda Lukas scored off a low cross from senior forward Sydnie Van Curen in the 16th minute of play.

The second goal came in the 38th minute when a cross from sophomore midfielder Taylor Burns was punched in by junior midfielder Stephanie Gratto, giving the Eagles a 2-0 lead.

The Eagles continued to attack throughout the game, and piled up a total of 9 shots on goal. The Red Wolves had chances in the second half, but redshirt senior goalkeeper Katie Merson was able to keep the clean sheet with a save in the 68th minute.

Georgia Southern held the Red Wolves scoreless throughout the game, giving the Eagles a 2-0 win.

Georgia Southern vs. UALR

The Eagles controlled the first half, with two goals coming 7 minutes apart from each other.

The first goal came during the 30th minute, off an assist from junior forward Nora El-Shami to sophomore forward Melinda Lukas who hit a chip shot to put it in the top right corner of the net.

The Eagle’s second goal came from junior midfielder Stephanie Gratto, who was able to sink a header off a corner kick from redshirt junior midfielder Alli Brashear.

The second half was a different story. UALR made it a game again with their first goal in the 65th minute off the foot of Fali Garuba, bringing the score to 2-1.

It didn’t take long for Georgia Southern to respond. The opposing keeper blocked an El-Shami penalty kick to her right, but sophomore forward Taylor Burns was there with a difficult goal to the goalkeeper’s short side of the net, giving the Eagles a 3-1 advantage and a comfortable lead.

The Trojans scored another goal in the 79th minute, but at that point the game was firmly in the Eagles’ hands. After 90 minutes of play, Georgia Southern got the win with a score of 3-2.