Eagles earn first win

Jordan Toney

The Georgia Southern Eagles finally did it this weekend against UL Monroe.

The Eagles won a volleyball match, stopping the 12 game losing streak that has plagued them all season. Despite losing their first set, they managed to rally back and win three sets in a row to finally bring a win to their bleak record. They didn’t end up starting a win streak, though. They lost their next match against UL Lafayette 3-0.

UL Monroe W (3-1):

Going into this match, neither the Eagles nor the Warhawks had won a single match against a Sun Belt opponent. Judging by the first set, it looked like the Eagle losing streak was going to continue. However, the Eagles did something that they haven’t been able to do all season; they rallied back. In the first set against UL Monroe, Ga. Southern didn’t take the lead a single time which is something that’s been plaguing them all season. However, the second set was a close affair with nine instances of a tie score, and two different lead changes. This would end up being the closest set of the match as the Eagles continued to get the job done and managed to pull away with a win. Once again in this match, the younger players are starting to show who’s going to start leading the team. Leah Joseph, a sophomore who sat out her entire freshman season with an injury, came out and had a hitting percentage of 58.3% along with eight kills. The seasoned Jamie DeRatt showed how she still makes a huge impact on this Eagle squad as she led the team in kills with fourteen, being the only Eagle with double digit kills. Kat Minnerly, as usual, led the Eagles in assists.

UL Lafayette L (3-0):

After getting their first win of the season just the day before, the Eagles would have to travel to Lafayette, Louisiana to go up against the Ragin’ Cajuns who’ve only lost three matches all season. All three of those losses were against Sun Belt opponents, however. One could almost predict that this match was going to have a heartbreaking ending just by watching the first two sets, with the Eagles losing both of them by only two points. It’s quite obvious that those two close losses definitely affected the morale of the team, because by the third set, it looked like the Eagles just couldn’t keep up. They ended up losing that third set, 25-16. The senior duo of Jamie DeRatt and Kym Coley did what they usually do: lead their team in kills. Both had double digit kills, but DeRatt had just one more with twelve, and Coley had eleven. Megan Chevalier, the redshirt freshman, kept up her streak of impressive performances, as she had six kills.

This weekend, the Eagles will travel back to Statesboro High School as they’ll try to get their first win at home. They’ll be going up against Troy, who beat GSU once this season already, and UALR, who has yet to lose a match against a Sun Belt opponent this season.