GSU tobacco ban beginning Aug. 1

Lauren Gorla

Editor’s note: The original article stated that the ban was beginning one month ahead of time. That has been corrected to two months. 

Georgia Southern University is set to become a tobacco-free campus effective August 1 and changes are already in place to transition campus into a tobacco-free zone, starting with the removal of ash urns.

In a letter from Brooks Keel, president of GSU, he explains that this decision is based on a recommendation from the Georgia Southern Tobacco-Free committee and approval from the President’s Cabinet.

The original date of the ban was set for October 1, a date handed down from the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia this past March when the board voted on the tobacco ban policy.

Beginning two months ahead of the enforcement date, the tobacco ban prohibits all and any use of tobacco products anywhere on land leased or owned GSU, including public spaces, cars and buildings.

“We all know that change is not always easy, but this University System of Georgia policy change reinforces our commitment to preserving and improving the health and comfort of our students, faculty, staff and guests,” Keel said in his letter.

Keel called tobacco and non-tobacco users to share the responsibility of this ban together and listed resources for students and faculty who are tobacco users, such as tobacco cessation classes and links to American Cancer Society and Georgia Department of Community Health.