Community Leader reflects on time spent at GSU

Lauren Gorla

Rashad Small is a fifth-year senior Studio Art/Photography major and he’s also the senior community leader at Watson Hall.

As a community leader at a freshman hall, Small is usually one of the first older students that most Georgia Southern University freshmen meet. Because of all the different halls Small has worked in, he has gotten to meet a lot of different students.

“I’ve been a CL in Brannen and Sanford Halls, Watson Hall and Kennedy Hall,” Small said.

Because of his interaction with many students, he is often able to lead them and guide them to join organizations or to become student leaders on campus. It was because of this interaction that he had with his CL that led him to eventually becoming a CL himself.

“My building staff, six CLs and a Resident Director and the Hall Council there really helped me find my place at GSU and helped me become the young man I am today,” Small said.

Small is not only just a senior community leader, but he’s also the Co-Fundraising Chair of the Alternative Break Board, a Service-Learning Facilitator and the president of the National Residence Hall Honorary.

NRHH is an exclusive group on campus that features only 50 members and holds members that are in the top one percent of on-campus residents.

A senior community leader is a different title from just community leader and, because of this, has different responsibilities from most community leaders.

“As a senior CL, I do a number of additional tasks that other CL’s do not. These tasks include key audits for the building, coordination of staff development opportunities, holding weekly office hours and more,” Small said.

Small’s passion for housing led him to continue in it after graduation where he will be attending the University of Tennessee as a Master’s student in College Student Personnel.